Monday, January 28
It was a day at the beginning of 1988..
I was awakened to mommy’s call
On a morning of dread, the alarm clock failed us..
A wave of chill overcomed me..
I was late again for the second time of the year..
Almost in tears, I waited for daddy to brush up and bring me to school..
I just didn’t know how to put it across to them
I..I didn’t want to go to school..
The discipline master told us we only had three chances..
This was the second..
I didn’t want to be punished
I fumbled my words
“Daddy, can.. I don’t.. go school today?”
A firm NO was all I get.
“But..but..”
I stopped when I saw the cane peeking out of the corner of the fridge.
And off I was sent to school with a cringed forehead..
I was afraid of daddy with the cane
I was afraid of Mrs Datt
I was afraid of Ms Ang
I was afraid that I’d be made to stand on the stage during assembly..
This sour chilly sensation kept oozing down my spine..
Butterflies in my stomach, I felt like going to the toilet.
I reached school, they were singing the National Anthem..
My dad handed me to the discipline master.
I cried out, unstoppable.
Then I was brought to stand at the stairs facing the assembly..
Afraid, very afraid.
I saw all my classmates staring back at me when they walked past after assembly.
I thought they had the most mocking faces..
I saw Mrs Datt approaching, I cried again..
After the record of latecomers into THAT book, they brought me back to the classroom.
I wanted to hide, unsure of what to think.
After all these self-imposed mental stress, I was down with high fever 2 days later..
2 days MC, but daddy still made me go school..
*****
I shrugged off my daze
That very same feeling came forth that very Friday morning..
Just dread
My heart cringed at the thought of work..
Rather office in general
Colleagues in specific.
Still the thought of MC never crossed my mind at all..
In a way, I was devilishly trained by daddy’s refusal for me to miss lessons just because I was late or slightly unwell.
He taught me to be responsible.
I went office physically
My head at home, on the pillow.
Perhaps the previous day event has left me very drained..
Outraged at the self-proclaimed very important people
We were helpless souls fulfilling some retarded double work.
I was pissed to angry tears..
Those angry tears and bottled up frustrations led to a 3 wholesome days of splitting headaches..
My precious weekends
Ruined
irony @
2:46 PM